“for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction.” - Michelle Obama
I know a lot of people are freaked out and mad at her for saying that, but to me it made her even more real to me. I can totally relate to what she's saying.
Knowing the ugly history of this country and violent empire building of the U.S., I have rarely found moments to be proud of my country. When I go overseas I like to pretend I'm not from the U.S., because I don't like answering to my complicity in the awful things this nation does everyday to other people. But then my lack of fluency in any language other than English and limited spoken Cantonese gives me away. DANGIT!
I have seen people who have never voted get involved in the political process this year for the first time ever... there's incredible energy and positivity... and so yes...
For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country. I would be even prouder if Michelle Obama became first lady.
