Wednesday, August 6, 2008

te amo costa rica!!!

day number... ummm... 6? Quel adventure! Ok, so that was French (I think). For some reason, trying to think in Spanish has gotten me thinking in my limited 5 years of French classes in middle school and high school. Bien or bueno? Confusion.

So I just wanted to leave a post quickly to let friends and family know that I´m still alive. Today had the highest chance of me not being alive, as O-dawg and I did a canopy tour in the mid-morning and canyoning in the afternoon.

Canopy tour = zip-lining on 14 zip lines over a valley. A fall would mean certain death, as we were up about ... ummm... WICKED HIGH. The view was amazing. After the first couple zip lines I stopped myself from thinking about how I could die and how the mechanism that held me to the metal wire could easily break or that the wire itself could break. The best part was the tarzan swing. Off of a platform they pushed us off one by one and I swung into the trees and back and forth I went. I screamed like crazy at first, because it was complete free fall before you start swinging.

Canyoning = rappelling down 6 waterfalls. Yes, full force waterfalls in my face when I forgot to keep my head down, lowering myself down waterfalls and hiking through rivers.

Other highlights:
-Day 1- (low light) getting my wallet stolen. I lost about $40 in cash and my credit cards. Closed out my credit cards. all is good. they stole my wallet from my backpack pocket where my camera and ipod were also, but they only took the wallet.
-Day 2-Isla Tortuga... private tropical beach, great gourmet 4 course meal with live music. I even saw a wild parrot flying around.
-Day 3-Tabacon (www.tabacon.com) ...yup.
-Day 4-Horseback ride and hike to an amazingly gorgeous waterfall; witnessing drama with gay couple in dorm room (why didn´t they get a private room!?!?)
-Day 5-Jeep-boat-jeep to Monteverde. Hung out in a local cafe and just people watched and listened to local gossip. Met up with C for night hike and dinner. Night hike highlights=really cute 20 year old tour guide, all kinds of cool plants, walking stick insects, morphos butterflies, sloths, tarantulas, bats, etc.

yup... tomorrow, it´s a full day of travel to the Carribean side of the country. Tired of the rain here in the rain forest... no wonder they call it a rain forest... and ready to hit the BEACH! Puerto Viejo BABY, and a hammock hostel!
-Day 5-