Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Geraldine... really???

I've been trying to figure out why I've been itching to get the heck out of this country lately. Last year at this time I was packing to go to Thailand and Cambodia for 2 weeks. It was a break from the U.S. that I desperately needed. Now I'm just dying to get out of here again, and I honestly think it's because I'm just DONE with the "kitchen sink" and the wack ass race baiting being used against Obama. I have been so very very disappointed in the Clintons over the last few months. But Ferraro's comments take the cake.

For those who were too young, or weren't around, to remember... Geraldine Ferraro was Walter Mondale's running mate on the Democratic ticket in 1984. I was 8 years old and that was the first election year that I remember relatively clearly. Jesse Jackson ran for president, and as a child of color in a white New England town, I was excited by that. I had rainbows in my room because of his Rainbow Push Coalition. He didn't win the nomination.

But then Mondale announced that Geraldine Ferraro would be his running mate. As an 8 year old girl I thought it was really cool that a woman could be Vice President. Maybe it was the first time I thought a woman could be a political leader. I didn't know who she was. I just knew she had a shot of being Vice President.

So when I learned today that she said, "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she continued. "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept." - Daily Breeze, March 7, 2008

In response to critics of this comment, Ms. Ferraro has said today, "
'Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up,' Ferraro said. 'Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?'..." - MSNBC, March 11, 2008

Oh wow. Didn't I just say a few weeks ago that HRC's claims of "experience" sounded vaguely of anti-affirmative action arguments?

Seriously Geraldine?
I mean I was cool with the fact you are a big HRC supporter. I could still think of you fondly as a pioneer for women in the U.S.
Now I can only shake my head and feel ashamed for you.