Monday, June 16, 2008

summer, summer, SUMMER TIME!

A few random thoughts as I begin the summer... (my brain is fried from finishing my final)
  1. Holy shit it feels good to be done with finals.
  2. Don't ever let me take another class again.
  3. Writing can be like sex.
  4. Post-coital reading list
Why do I always wait until the last minute to work on my papers for due dates? MADNESS! Also, I know I've said this before, but this class was the LAST CLASS I EVER TAKE!!!! EVER... EVER EVER! If you ever hear me saying, "Oh that class looks really interesting..." STOP ME! Tell me that I do not need to be taking another class, and instead I should be dissertating!!! I think this class was a fantastic high note to end on. Let's not let me go Michael Jordan and come back again. Just end it on a high note. Can't get any better.

Yes, writing can be like sex. I've noticed that when I'm writing about something nerdy that I'm passionate about, I can totally get into it. It doesn't happen often. It's a struggle sometimes, and I get really frustrated when I can't get off. But when I finally get it... I get sweaty. I get tired but feel a surge of energy at the same time. I become emotional. I feel confident and sexy in my nerdy genius and abilities, paying attention to finding the right words to stroke and smooth it out. I feel an intense euphoria and accomplishment. But, if it goes too long, past the point of euphoria, I start wondering, "is it done yet?" And finally, I feel an amazing sense of peace at the end. Exhaustion sets in.

I'm exhausted and out of breath.

... books, right books.

I need to make a reading list before I forget.
  • (finish) The Souls of Black Folk
  • (finish) Jim Crow's Children
  • bell hooks' Communion: The Female Search for Love
  • Philip Yancey's What's so Amazing about Grace?
  • Dave Eggers' What is the What
  • Frantz Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth
  • Carlos Bulosan's America is in the Heart
Anyone got suggestions for me to add?

Other plans for summer:
-do more interviews for the dissertation
-yoga
-Costa Rica and Honduras (7/31-8/14)
-Go home and visit the family
-Go to Yankee stadium before it gets demolished

...hmmm... food, what shall I treat myself to?