I really like Jefferson Park because it's a nice little neighborhood with families, kids on skateboards, lots of churches, and people who say hi to you when you're out and about in the neighborhood. It's mostly Latino and African American, and just a handful of Koreans and Russians. And of course there's me and my roommate - Chinese and Filipina.
Since the beginning of the year (all 2+months) there have been 4 gang-related killings within 2 miles of my place. None of it really hit me. I remember thinking "wow, that's tragic," and moving on with my life, because I guess that's part of life in my neighborhood. A homeless man was killed about 5 blocks from my place last month. That was trippy, but I've never felt like I was in danger. I've always felt pretty safe in my neighborhood.
But then yesterday, getting back from being stuck in Ohio due to the blizzard, I heard on the radio about the latest killing. Jamiel was killed on March 2. His funeral was today. Why so long before the funeral? His mom was in Iraq on a 2nd tour of duty. They had the funeral at the big church down the street from my place. My bro C said he saw a glimpse of the story when he was at the gym. I'm glad the story has made national news.
It's devastating. Jamiel did EVERYTHING right. He was what we in the education access field call a "striver". He had good grades. He was a star football player. He had both parents invested in his success. He was too busy living life, and on the verge of getting a football scholarship to Stanford or Rutgers to be involved with street gangs. He just turned 17 years old 2 months ago! Despite all the odds, he was going to make it. My heart goes out to Jamiel's parents, family, and friends.
The 2 suspects are members of a Latino street gang, and even though Jamiel's football team had both Latino and African American players on it, I'm feeling LA simmering - racial tensions are simmering. I just hope Jamiel doesn't become "Latasha." I hope this tragedy becomes a catalyst for good and not for bad.

Rest in peace Jamiel.
