=====
November 29, 2005
so i went on a 2nd date with a boy i shall refer to as "knife boy" from now on. first date a while back was great. he was intellectual, witty, good teeth... yup, seemed promising as we spent 4 hours talking about random stuff. so we went on a 2nd date this past sunday - lunch and gocarting. i drove. lunch was fine. good conversation like last time. we went to the gocart place. and as we're about to enter the facility, he says, "oh wait, i need to drop something off in the car."
we get back to my car. i open my trunk. he pulls off the chain from around his neck, which up until that point i thought was just a normal chain. but no... at the end of the chain is a KNIFE that looked a lot like this.
then he pulls out another one of these knives from a jean pocket.
THEN... he pulls out a THIRD knife from another pocket that looked like this:
at this point, i'm feeling a little freaked out.
me: ummm, why do you carry 3 weapons around?
knife boy: they're useful tools
me: uhhh, for what? hunting... in los angeles?
knife boy: no... for cutting things like bags, ropes, etc.
me: uhhh, ok.... but seriously, isn't a swiss army knife just as good, and provides you with a broader diversity of "tools"?
knife boy: sometimes you need different kinds and sizes of cutting tools.
me (in my head): HOLY SHIT! WHAT THE FUCK!? WHO CARRIES AROUND THREE HUNTING KNIVES... ON A DATE!?
i mean...I'm not totally averse to carrying knives. My grandfather carried one around, but that was ONE!
===
post-script: After the date (from my memory)
After go-carting, we got back to my car and he asked me to pop the trunk so he could retrieve his knives. We were already in my car so I told him he could get the knives when I dropped himoff at his place. We got to his place, he asked me if I wanted to hang out at his place, and I told him I was tired. So I left the car running. He got out of my car. I stayed in my car, and popped the trunk for him. He shut the trunk and I drove away!
