My girl cindylu will occasionally have on her instant messaging away message "swoon." When she does, I suspect there's a boy in her life who is doing things to make her smile... and she's got a great smile.
It's been a while since any boy made me swoon, and over the years it takes more and more to make me swoon. Plus, I just get really awkward... and stuff. However, in my defense, it's not the easiest thing to date in LA. I've been here 3 years, almost 2 of which I have been single, and I have to agree wholeheartedly with my girl Tazalicous that in LA, most boys are total wussies... behold the LA wussy boy! I've lived in enough cities (LA, Oakland, Sacramento, DC, Atlanta/Athens, Boston) to compare... guys in other cities are just more aggressive in getting the contact info and following up.
The bar scene and Asian American guys: A couple weeks ago, my girl Kristina and I were at a wine bar in Santa Monica. We decided to cruise through the bar. It was perhaps one of the whitest scenes I've been at in a long time. So when we saw a cute Asian guy, we went up to him... well, she went up to him and tried to initiate some conversation. Dud! The guy was totally incapable of carrying on a conversation. We walked away with K exclaiming in frustration, "Damn! I put out the affirmative action pussy... and NOTHING!" Yea, for us Asian gals who are interested in the Asian guys... the challenge is worse. As K said, "I don't want to hear no Asian guys complaining anymore about us dating other guys."
Online dating: At one point, I tried out online dating. It was alright, but then... let's flashback to Knife Boy. Oh yes! He was QUALITY.
Add to all of this that I have not been impressed by the kissing skills of guys in LA. The last guy I kissed had a nasty habit of thrusting his tongue in and out of my mouth to the very back of my throat. During the thrusting, he cut his tongue on my bottom teeth and then I tasted BLOOD! I wanted to throw up.
A couple weeks ago, I met Dodger Fan (DF) at my friend's graduation party. As is typical of politically progressive Asian American social circles, DF and I have a lot of mutual friends but have never met each other. I noticed his nice teeth and dimples... as cynical as I am when meeting guys, these 2 things are enough to make me be nice to someone. We talked baseball, NBA playoffs... damn, I rarely meet progressive Asian American guys who can talk sports too. [in my head: play it cool. breathe! be cool.] Didn't exchange contact info that night, but I figured he'd know how to get it if he wanted. After a week... nothing, so I did some facebook maneuvering and eventually trick dated him. We were just casually meeting up for the Lakers game at a sports bar. As long as it "wasn't really a date" in my mind, I had a shot of not being totally awkward. That was Friday. I think it went ok. I'm hoping for an unambiguous date soon, and hoping that he take the initiative next time in real (or trick) dating me.
With knife boy, rejection of affirmative action pussy, and bad kissers, it's not surprising that I've become extremely cynical when it comes to meeting guys in LA. So, I have to say that when I do meet an Asian American guy (with progressive politics!), from LA, who isn't an LA wussy boy, who is a good kisser... I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do. I guess I'll just swoon, and remain in the moment, enjoying the swoon.
