Can there ever be perfect days? Maybe and maybe not, but I think yesterday came damn near close. Sunshine, cool breezes, free parking in Santa Monica, brunch, good girlfriends, entertaining movie, yoga, and Rock Band!
I woke up yesterday without an alarm clock, just woke up to the sunshine in my room. Put on my new glittery Celtics tee, cut off jeans, and braided my hair... no fuss, very cute. Hopped in my car, and drove out to Santa Monica, jammin' to my new Lady L CD... perfect for a chill Sunday late morning. I found perfect parking for free on the street right by the brunch spot, and met up with E and T.
Food and coffee was good, but of course it's always more about the conversation than anything else. We talked about everything from T being tricked into having a boyfriend, E seeing a boy with funky body odor, and how dangerous it is for me to swoon for a boy with little relationship potential (... more on that another time). Of course we talked other things... our lives do not revolve around those of the opposite sex after all. We talked about the elections tomorrow. Prop 98=BAD! We talked about E planning to walk out of the school she teaches at on Friday to protest the budget cuts, and the ways the system makes it hard for teachers to participate in protest. It's her first protest! So excited for her. I got all nerdy and talked about how the people who are backing Prop 98 for tomorrow's election are the same people who did Prop 13, 30 years ago... leading to the jacked up and twisted CA education situation we have on our hands now. T talked about how the phone bank she's coordinating for elections is really consuming all of her time. I, of course, brushed over the status of my dissertation work... no fun to talk dissertation.
While the girls were talking I was thinking about the differences between boys for booty v. boys with relationship potential. I saw my Bay area crush on Saturday when I was working in Davis. That's a boy on the relationship track, but lives in SF so there's no way I'm kicking game at that right now. DF, on the other hand, is quite ambiguous, and I think I'm trying to file him away into "friend with booty benefits." However, E warned me that it's easier said than done, and said she thinks I sound like I like DF. T nodded in agreement. I admit, I find DF intriguing... he's lived through a lot of stuff in life, making him complex and interesting. So the challenge for me is to file him away into a space where he can't elicit feelings beyond friendship. This way, I can still... have fun ;) E says to stay far away from DF. T says she's "pulling for him," but I remind her that it's hard to pull for DF when he's not pulling for himself.
After brunch, like thousands and thousands of other women throughout the country we went to see Sex and the City. Coming out of the brunch place I saw a guy with a green Celtics hat on. We nodded to each other... 2 Celtics fans deep in enemy territory.
[Spoiler alert] SATC was an entertaining movie. I rarely go see movies in the theaters anymore unless I think they're really worth it. I think the last movie I saw before this in the theater might have been Babel. Anyway... my review of SATC...
It was a good treat... like your favorite candy - little nutritional value, but tasty. It was a little on the long side, so I started to feel sick like I was having too much candy. Any longer and I might have thrown up.
Highlights from SATC:
-Carrie and Big cancel the wedding and all around me I hear people SOBBING. That was HILARIOUS! It's not like it wasn't predictable, people!
-Carrie becomes an invalid after the canceled wedding. I must say, as someone who has gone through a break up after being engaged, they got Carrie's reactions right on. Inability to eat - check. Inability to laugh - check. Inability to feel much emotion - check. Sleeping for days on end - check. The one thing they didn't get was the sleeping for days on end preceded by the inability to fall asleep for fear of what nightmares/dreams might bring. This was the part where I shed a few tears... reminder of what I went through in January 2007.
-Jennifer Hudson as St. Louise is adorable... love her.
-Everything in the end was tied up in a pretty Tiffany box with a pretty bow. Very predictable but fun to watch.
After the 2.5 hours movie, I walked back to my car to get my yoga gear. Throughout the day I was waiting for someone to say something about the Celtics gear. I noticed people looking at my shirt, but not saying anything. Are LA fans that passive? Then, just as I was crossing the street to the yoga studio, 3 cute Latino guys wearing Lakers gear in an SUV honked at me waving their gear around. One of them said, "see you Thursday." Yes indeedy... it's ON!
After yoga, I showered at E's place and we played some Rock Band with T and her new bf. My Rock Band virginity is gone... and it was oh so pleasurable. I do, however, need to work on my screams when on vocals, but if all they want is noise it's much easier not to think and just scream "AHHHHHHH!"
So... AHHHHHHH! here we go with the new week! Was there any theme to this post? Not really, but I do think it's important to blog about fun times that I want to remember. So there you go... a damn near perfect Sunday.
