I think the older we get the more complicated and weird meeting someone can be. I remember when I was younger, getting a relationship started was really easy. It would go something like this.
Girl gets butterflies when meeting boy. Boy feels same way.
Boy says "Hey, I like you. You're cool. Let's hang out and get to know each other."
Girl says, "Hey, I like you too. You're cool. I'd like to hang out and get to know you too."
And... that was that. Giddiness ensues and things develops.
So straight forward and simple.
Now it goes more like this...
Girl likes boy. Boy likes girl. Neither admits it to each other much less themselves. Both parties play all nonchalant. Boy and girl spend time together and more time together, feeling each other's emotional baggage out very very cautiously. Ready to run at any sign of difficulty or obstacles or buzz kill to the fun in hanging out together.
Both get nervous about possibilities of "relationship." What does it all mean? A relationship? A commitment? Expectations? Future of broken expectations? Difficulties in building trust? Potential for betrayal? Vulnerability? Hurt feelings? RESPONSIBILITY to someone else's well-being outside of your own. Oh my!
Talking with a friend the other day about his relationship and hearing about what he's going through reminded me about that responsibility and how much emotional havoc can be wreaked upon each other, even when it's not intended.
I'm coming to the conclusion that us folks over 28 are all damaged and busted-broken. When did the feeling of butterflies become a red flag, warning sign?
I'm kinda sad things are never going to be as simple again as:
Boy - I like you.
Girl - I like you too.
Boy - Want to go out?
Girl - OK.
Why can't it be that simple?
