career: Community Educator.
age: 31.
status: SINGLE.
In my dating history, I have been in three monogamous long-term relationships. They were all corporate boys (i.e., men who were more concerned about making money in their professional careers than interested in community politics). In these situations I've never been the initiator. I have a theory that they like me because I'm different from anyone they usually hang out with, and I'm good at corporate events as a significant other. Corporate people think I'm intriguing.
Corporates: "Oh, you make a living as a... a teacher?" "You study r-R-race?"
me: "Well yes, well technically I'm hoping to be a college professor, but yes I think of myself as a teacher. And yes, I study issues of racial disparities in education."
Corporates: "Wow. That's so noble."
So, I guess corporate boys like me because I'm different and useful in business networking situations.
I have had countless crushes. They were all community boys (i.e., men who have good progressive politics and are engaged in community organizing and advocacy issues. they're often teachers, in politics, counselors, non-profit workers, etc.). They've also all rejected me in some way shape or form.
me: You teach an Ethnic Studies class in a high school? That's awesome.
cool cute boy: uhhhh... ummmm...
me: Because I really think that what you're doing is amazing and people out there need to know.
cool cute boy: Oh hey, my friend just showed up. Be right back.
Why?
Am I too forward? Am I scary? I imagine myself to be charmingly engaging.
Alas... I may soon resort back to the yuppy networking events... *sigh*
