So my plan of graduating in June 2010 to take a 5th year of just publishing has been blown apart by my adviser, the Don. With the situation with mom, I wasn't sure how I was going to finish in June. He quickly came up with a new plan for me and said, "You need to finish... this coming June."
Me: Really? Because don't you think I'd be more competitive if I had an extra year before going on the job market?
the Don: Yea, but you could also be competitive now depending on the position. And you can't be competitive until you finish the degree.
Me: Ok, so you're not cool with the June '10 plan?
the Don: No. Finish June '09.
Me: How about December '09?
the Don: August '09 at the latest.
Me: ohhh kay. Can I walk in June '09 if I finish by August?
the Don: Not sure. You'd have to check with the department, but I'd approve of it.
Me: OK, but what will I do for a job? I'm not competitive on the market now and I'm not competitive next year when I first come out.
the Don: You can't be competitive without degree in hand.
Me: *sigh* OK. I will try my best.
