Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Canaries in the Coal Mine

As the economy keeps taking a nose dive, the government considers bailing out Detroit (again) after bailing out (with no strings attached) the banking industry, and it was officially declared that we're in a recession, I've been seeing the effects of the economic downturn for almost 6 months.

At a Bunche African American Studies Center event a few weeks ago after the election, one of the panelists mentioned how urban low income communities are often the "canary in the coal mine." I live south of the 10, right by Crenshaw. It was/is a prime location for gentrification, and there have been battles in the area over rising housing prices in the area. When I first moved in over a year ago, there were children on the streets playing, ice cream trucks and churro trucks passing by at least every hour, families taking leisurely strolls. When my roommate was nervous about moving in, I pointed out that if the 'hood wasn't safe, parents wouldn't let their kids play outside ont he streets all day till dusk. Since early summer, the children have disappeared. The ice cream trucks disappeared. The churro cart disappeared. It was eery.

One morning I walked to the bus stop and passed by a woman who was clearly disturbed. She was standing around a pink plastic doll house, screaming, "My house! This is MY HOUSE! Get away from MY HOUSE!" At the end of the day I passed by the spot again and saw the house was shattered to pieces. Repo signs started popping up on houses throughout the community. The taco restaurant that was supposed to open up ended up not opening up. I started waking up to gun shots. There have been 3 homicides within 5 blocks of my place in the last 6 months.

I thought about leaving at the end of the summer, but I so love my space. It's huge! It's beautiful. I will miss it. After waking up again to gun shots recently, I decided it's time to move... again.

The apartment hunt this time is realy interesting. There are apartments open like I haven't seen in a long time. Landlords are reducing their rents, because they can't rent places out. People seem to be moving out because they can't afford their places anymore.

I recognize my privilege, but definitely am feeling some middle class guilt. I'm moving up out and out while others are moving down and out. I count my blessings and thank God.