I've been struggling the last couple days, because old friends of mine, whom I met through various "community" or "Asian American movement" activities, have been talking about how voting doesn't make a difference.
In discussing this with one friend, I appreciate the dialogue, and respect that it's about our different entries into participating in community action for change. But when I get "voting is for losers" it honestly hurts. And I start freaking out about losing friends, because if I engage in a discussion with them about voting, will they think of me as a loser? Will they even listen to me? Do they even respect me? So, if I don't engage in dialogue and stay silenced, perhaps I can still maintain some semblance of friendship with them??
Some think they're so "radical" or "progressive" because their political views align them with a non-mainstream candidate for prez, like Gravel. ummm... yea, I took the same online quiz, and guess what? My views make me more in line with Gravel and Kucinich than you. So what? What's that gonna do? Sometimes I get really sad that folks who view themselves as progressive create divisiveness and cut each other off, ending dialogue and "community." *sigh* Perhaps I'm not making any sense, probably because I'm really upset about possibly losing friends... over, I don't even really understand what. Because I want to find ways to build and connect grassroots community movement to a national election?
I guess at the end of the day, I wish these "community" friends would at least respect what I'm trying to do, as I respect what they're doing and wouldn't want to demean what they do as useless or for losers. If you disagree with what I'm doing, fine. Let's talk. At least we can actually build community from dialogue and mutual respect.
98% Mike Gravel
98% Dennis Kucinich
81% John Edwards
77% Barack Obama
75% Joe Biden
74% Hillary Clinton
74% Chris Dodd
68% Bill Richardson
36% Rudy Giuliani
27% Ron Paul
24% John McCain
20% Mike Huckabee
18% Mitt Romney
12% Tom Tancredo
6% Fred Thompson
2008 Presidential Candidate Matching Quiz
So then given my quiz results, Why Obama? Why not Edwards? Why not Gravel or Kucinich? First, I'm a realist. Second, Kucinich told his supporters in Iowa that if he wasn't viable to vote for Obama. I see that as a message that if I don't think he's viable in CA to vote for Obama.
Also, I don't see any other campaign teaching folks basic community organizing skills and community development skills. After the pres election, folks in my neighborhood in South Central will still have community organizing skills and a developed community for any given issue or action.
