Monday, January 28, 2008

An inter-generational movement

Like I've been doing the last couple weeks, I dropped by the HQ to use the phones to calls some voters in my neighborhood. As usual the office was abuzz with activity even though it was already 7 p.m. People looked tired, but positivity radiates in the office... I even saw people randomly high five each other as they passed each other in the office.

One of my calls tonight was to a 48 year old man who lives 5 blocks away from me. He was African American and told me he was undecided on whom to vote for, but he was especially curious to know how I had his number.

Mr. D: Where are you calling from?
Me: Oh, I live just a few blocks from you, but I'm using the campaign's phone right now.
Mr. D: You're in my neighborhood?
Me: Well yes... shouldn't that count for something that your neighbor is calling you because I believe that Barack is good for our neighborhood?
[We laughed together.]
We talked some more... about our favorite taco truck in the neighborhood, the number of liquor stores. He asked me what I did and I told him I was an Education student, and we started talking about schools. His mother and grandmother were both teachers, and he's thought about volunteering at the local schools after he retires. I told him that the schools definitely need good volunteers... someone for the kids to look up to. He told me, "I'm surprised young women are going into the teaching profession in this day and age. I always grew up thinking that women like my mom and grandmother were teachers because you weren't allowed to be anything else - a teacher or a nurse. I mean, today you can be anything you want to be." I interrupted, "yes, we can even run for president!" He said, "that's right."

Mr. D then asked me if I was recruited by the campaign to volunteer. I told him no sir, and that I decided a few weeks ago to help out because I believe in the movement that Barack is leading to empower communities to create positive change. Of course I added, "I hope that counts for something in your decision" and we laughed together again. He said, "well, you sure are persistent, and I do have to say that I'm impressed that you would go out of your way to find the campaign to volunteer your time as a young person."

We ended the call agreeing that we needed a lot less liquor stores in our neighborhood and better schools in LAUSD and better treatment of public school teachers. As we ended our call, he said to me, "and I bet you think if Barack is president that things can change."

I said to him, "well Mr. D, I don't believe that change can happen on the back of just one person. I think change can happen if we all work together, and I think Senator Obama is inspiring people to do just that."

And Mr. D said, "that's a good point young lady."